Newcastle for Nerds
Have your friends always teased you because you prefer to sip on white wine, wear tweed sweaters and are often partial to watching QI. Does this sound more appealing than going out to a club where everyone’s going to be all sweaty and touching each other?
Are you the type of person that would save your books over your fashionable shoes if there was a house fire? Oh, you have no fashionable shoes? Then this is the perfect post for you. Consider this a nerdy guide to Newcastle, where you can do nerdy things for fun – like play board games and talk about science. Here’s a helpful list with some attractions:
- Adult only events are put on by the Centre for Life almost all year long. There is one which explores the science of fire and an event called ‘What’s your poison?’. You get 5 cocktails when you buy the tickets for the latter one. You know, for science. Keep checking the website for more events, as they are constantly changing!
- The Cumberland Arms, located in Byker near-ish to the Cloony has board games available to play while you have a drinkie. They also put acoustic nights on, and story telling nights, too. Again, it’s always changing, so go check out their website here.
- Tyneside Cinema: If you are a more artsy nerdy type and into foreign, artsy and cult films, this is the place for you. They are an excellent student-y cinema, as well, since they occassionally put on free movie night. So you can just pop in! They also have slam-poetry session and other artsy stuff. And a coffee shop that doesn’t close until eleven o’clock at night. Best in Newcastle.
- The Sage Gateshead: Although not technically in Newcastle, this slug like building has many offers for the more musically inclined nerd. If you are into Classical music then you are very much in luck! The Sage has several shows a day. But it’s not just that, it’s also the heart of folk music in the Northeast. Oh, and I guess if you are an architectural type, then you wouldn’t want to miss the building either.
- The Lit and Phil society: Are you a book nerd? Do people look at you weird because you get a dreamy look in your eyes while you sniff a yellowed page deep? The Lit and Phil society is the place of your dreams. Lined with old books everywhere and old staircases, this is a totally fascinated place in which I – cough – I mean you – could spend all your time